The Osteoporosis Risk and Management Project is by run by The University of Melbourne, in conjunction with Western Health, with input from Deepak Dutta for Osteoporosis expertise and A/Prof. Craig Nelson who has created the CKD modules in CAT.
The Osteoporosis Risk and Management Project aims to prevent re-fractures in patients by
- targeting patients that have fractures which have been “missed” and whether these patients are on treatment or not
- targeting patients with risk factors
Bone Health and Treatment Report
This graph will report on patients with Osteoporosis or a Minimal Trauma Fracture who have a fracture and/or a Bone Mass Density (BMD) scan and who are on treatment/not on treatment. It will also report on Vitamin D targets. This graph will allow patients not on treatment to be targeted.
Eligible Population: Patients with a coded diagnosis of Osteoporosis or a coded history of an Osteoporotic Fracture, excluding patients with Cancer, Paget’s Disease or Metabolic Bone Disease.
This graph will report on patients not diagnosed with Osteoporosis but with multiple risk factors who have been tested for BMD and/or Vitamin D or who have not been tested for either. This allows patients with multiple risk factors who have not been tested to be targeted for BMD and Vitamin D testing.
Eligible Population: Patients without a coded diagnosis of Osteoporosis and with 2 or more risk factors (where lifestyle risk factors – smoking, alcohol - are counted once).
Bone Health and Treatment Graph
Eligible Population: Patients with either
- a coded diagnosis of Osteoporosis or
- aged > 50 with a coded history of a Minimal trauma fracture
- excluding patients with Cancer, Paget’s Disease or Metabolic Bone Disease.
The graph will provide information on the management of Treatment (Medication – see Appendix 1) and Vitamin D targets. It will also provide the amount of Bone Mass Density testing and Vitamin D testing that has been done.
This graph will display eligible patients who have had a fracture and/or a BMD. It will be a bar chart with 3 categories:
- Patients with a fracture and no BMD scan
- Patients with a fracture and a BMD scan
- Patients without a fracture and with a BMD scan
Each category will split into the number of patients
- on treatment / not on treatment
- with Vitamin D in the last 12 months: at target (>50) / not at target / not recorded