Female patients who have not had a pap smear in the last 4 years
The National Cervical Screening Program aims to prevent cervical cancer by detecting early changes in the cervix.
It is currently recommended that all women aged between 18 and 69, who have ever been sexually active, are screened every 2 years.
Further to this, the Practice Incentive Payment (PIP) Cervical Screening Incentive aims to encourage GPs to screen under-screened women, that is women aged
between 20 and 69 years who have not had a cervical smear in the last four years, for cervical cancer and to increase overall screening rates.
A PIP payment of $40 per patient is available to practices that screen eligible female patients who have not been screened in the last 4 years.
To identify eligible female patients aged 20-69 years who have not had a pap smear in the last 4 years.
CAT Starting Point:
RECIPE Steps Filters:
In the Filter Pane
In the ‘General’ Tab, enter the ‘Start Age’ 20 and ‘End Age’ 69 (you don’t have to filter for gender as CAT will do this automatically for the PAP reports
- Click ‘Recalculate’
- Click ‘Hide Filters’
Recipe Steps Reports
- Select ‘Screening’ tab
- Select ‘Pap Smear’ tab
- then select ‘Pap Smear Done Date’ tab
- Click on ‘4-5 years' part of the graph
- Click on ‘Export’ or to see the list of patients selected
This will list all female patients that have not had a Pap smear entered in the last 4 to 5 years.
Create a prompt to display in Topbar
Remember you need to be in the CAT4 Daily View to be able to create prompts. Other pre-requisites are:
- Topbar is installed
- CAT4 is linked to Topbar via Edit/Preferences/Topbar - check here for details: Linking CAT4 to Topbar
To start CAT4 in the Daily View, click on the 'Daily View' icon in the dashboard:
Once you have applied the filter(s) and displayed the patients of interest as described above, you can create a prompt that will be shown to all clinicians using Topbar if a patient meeting the prompt criteria is opened in their clinical system. The full guide is available at CAT PLUS PROMPTS and a short guide on how to create prompts in CAT4 can be found at Creating a Prompt in CAT4
To start you have to use the drop-down menu at the bottom of the patient details report and select "Prompt at Consult - Topbar" then click on "Go" to give the new prompt a name.
The name you enter is the prompt text displayed in Topbar, so choose a simple but clear name that tells the clinician seeing the prompt what should be done.
To Export Patient List to Microsoft Excel:
1. Click on the “Export Icon” at the top of the Patient Reidentification window.
2. Click on “Excel”
3. Choose a file name and a location to save to (eg. Create a folder C:/ClinicalAudit/CAT Patient FollowUp)
4. Click “Save”
The steps above will produce a list of patients with contact details in MS Excel which can then be used to:
1. Go back through the individual patient records in the GP Clinical Desktop System (CDS) and update known records
2. Phone patients to update their record
3. Produce a mail merge to recall patients for follow up